IVF #1 Part Two: First Ultrasound

The next several days went much like the first.   I took my Gonal-F and Menopur every morning and every evening.  This went on from Tuesday until Friday.  I took my morning injections and then I had my first real IVF ultrasound to look and see how my ovaries were reacting.   I was 5 days into my cycle so I wasn’t expecting too much.

I went into the room and the nurse asked how I was feeling.  I told her that I was feeling a little full but otherwise ok. She told me that was totally normally and the feeling would probably increase over the next few days.  She took a vial of my blood then told me the tech would be in to screen me.

The tech came in and started looking at my ovaries.   She was able to see 5 follicles on one side, all under 12mm, and 4 on the other side, again all under 12mm.   She told me it looked like I was reacting well to the medications and that I had 9 follicles that they could see which was a great start when doing IVF.  I thanked her and got dressed.

I also asked about having a hard time getting the Menopur in my belly.   They told me maybe I needed a larger needle and got me a few that would help.   I took them home in hopes that it would help get the medication in faster then it was currently going in.

My husband and I then took the rest of the day to do a little shopping and to eat a good meal.  I was feeling pretty good about everything at this point.   Around 3pm my nurse called me to tell me all of my levels looked good and that the number of follicles was perfect for day 5.  She wanted me to continue with the same dose of medication and come back in on Sunday.

I didn’t realize the next ultrasound would be so soon.  I asked if I could do Saturday or Monday instead because there is only 1 office open to do ultrasounds on Sunday and it’s over 2 hours away.  She told me that because of the delicate nature of IVF, I had to go Sunday.  I thanked her and hung up.


I called the other office and scheduled an appointment for 8am on Sunday.  I was a little worried as I had to meet up with my family that day at 12:30 and it was 1 hour away in the OTHER direction.  That meant I’d drive 2 hours to my appointment, 2 hours back home, then 1 hour to meet my family, and 1 hour home.  6 hours of driving in one day did not sound like a good time but no one ever said going through IVF was going to be easy.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s