IVF #1 Egg Retrieval Part 1

Saturday night we went to the town where I would have my egg retrieval.  It was 2 hours away so we decided to spend the night.  I was a nervous wreck the entire night so we tried to do some activities to take our minds off of it.   We were in a big city so we went to an authentic Asian restaurant and then took a swim in the pool.

We went to bed that night and I had trouble sleeping.   I tossed and turned for an hour or two before falling asleep.   The next morning we woke up early and went for a walk.   My husband had some breakfast at my insistence but I wasn’t allowed to eat or even drink anything.  After breakfast we went back to the hotel room.

I packed up the room while my husband produced his sample.   We walked out, packed up the car, and drove next door to the RE’s office.   We went up to the fourth floor where we were told to have a seat and someone would be with us soon.

About 10 minutes later the nurse came out and got us.   She walked us back to a corner room and told me to put on the gown.   I put it on and lay in bed.   We sat there waiting, holding hands, until the nurse came back.  She handed me some papers and asked me to read over them and then sign them.  She also told my husband someone would be up soon to get his sample.

Egg Retrieval

I read the papers and the scary side effects.   I read some to my husband.   I signed everything and waited for the nurse.  She came back, took the papers, and told me that the anesthesiologist would be in soon.  A few minutes later the anesthesiologist came in.  He told me what would happen and then put an IV in my arm.   He actually hit a new vein which was a relief since the two large veins in my inner elbows were sore and bruised.

He started a saline drip and asked me a few questions.   He then reviewed the egg retrieval procedure with me.   When he stepped out the doctor stepped in.  I had never met her before but she was super nice.  She asked if we had any questions and I had a few.  She told me I’d go in, they would give me the anesthesia, and then she would begin.

She would stick a needle in my vagina and suck up any eggs that were ready to go.   She would be able to tell me how many eggs they collected but not how many were mature.  She told me I was going to be sore when I came out of the anesthesia but the nurse would go over my discharge papers with me then.

She then told me she had one more patient before me so I should sit tight.  At that point a tech came in to take me husband’s sample.  She got his name, date of birth, and social security number before taking the sample.   My regular nurse came back and asked if I needed the bathroom before I went.  I told her that I did so she took me, hooked up to the IV and all.

When we got back the anesthesiologist was waiting for me.  He told me it was time for me to go.  I would walk to the operating room myself then I would come back in a bed.  Before they took me back they handed my husband a prescription for pain killers to fill downstairs.  They told him to go while I was in surgery and I’d be out in 20-30 minutes.   My husband gave me a hug and a kiss and then I walked into the operating room.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s