IVF #1 First Ultrasound after BFP

The two weeks after getting my BFP were a whirlwind.   I was happy and scared at the same time.  My husband and I kept touching my stomach and smiling at each other.

I tried to take it easy.   I have a job where I stand up a lot but I tried to sit as much as possible.  I took my Estrogen twice a day and my Progesterone suppository twice a day as well.   I didn’t mind either one nearly as much now that I knew I was pregnant.   Life was good.

I wasn’t sick at all.  The first few days after my BFP I had a few days where I was a bit queasy but nothing major.  I never threw up.  I had some pressure in my stomach area but that was it.   I was anxiously waiting for our first ultrasound.

I took the day off from work on the day of our ultrasound.  We drove the two hours to the RE’s office.  Sitting in the room waiting for the nurse practitioner to come in I started gripping my husband’s hand.   I knew I wouldn’t be able to relax until I saw the heartbeat.  It wouldn’t be real until then.

The nurse practitioner came in with a tech.  The tech put the wand in and started looking around.  They pointed out the sac, the fetal pole, and then….the heartbeat.   My baby had a heartbeat!   Cue the tears.   I looked at my husband smiling through my tears.   He was staring in awe at the monitor.  The nurse told me that the baby had a heartbeat of 122 beats per minute.

My miracle baby was here.   It was in my stomach and according to everything the baby looked perfect.  It measured right at 6 weeks 2 days.   I turned and asked if I had a due date.   The nurse practitioner smiled, consulted a table, and told me I was due May 4th.   I just grinned.

6 week embryo

No one in my family had a May birthday.   My grandma and my pap were both born in May but both had passed away.  What a wonderful joy and surprise to have another May birthday in our family.   Not to mention May is perfect for my job.  I teach and only get 6 weeks off.   6 weeks from May 4th would take me through the end of the year so I could stay home with my baby for 3 1/2 or 4 months instead of 6 weeks.

We left the RE’s office on cloud 9.   We stopped at the local grocery store we love and had a slice of gourmet pizza and bought a few bagels from home.  Today may have been the happiest day of my life.


Disclaimer:   The above took place in September 2014. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s