Last Friday I had my hysteroscopy.   My surgery was scheduled for 7:15am and I guess I figured we only needed to be there 20 or 30 minutes before the scheduled time…boy was I wrong.   The night before I got a call telling me to be there by 5:30am.  Now that’s early anyhow but the hospital was over an hour away so we ended up leaving the house around 4:30.

We got to the hospital around 5:40 and went up to the same day surgery wing.  I thought ahead this time and wore my hoodie and a pair of sweatpants knows I’d probably be hurting afterwards.   Once we registered I was taken back to get prepped for surgery while my husband waited in the waiting room.

A nurse came in and talked to me and asked me a few questions.   Then she hooked up the blood pressure cuff, a heart monitor, and took my temperature.  All of my vital signs looked good and she said I was healthy so this procedure shouldn’t be too bad.

Next another nurse came in.  She was there to put in my IV.   She grabbed my hand and I told her that was a bad place to put it in.  I told her it hurt and that it always blew my vein.  She assured me the plump vein in my hand would be fine.   She pushed in the needle and a pain went shooting up my arm.  She had to move it around a bit to hit the vein.   She took a vial of blood and then hooked up the IV.

By this time blood had dripped on my sheet, on my hands, and all over the floor.  She quickly twisted the cap on the IV and then swabbed my hand.  She got a new bandage and put it over the IV.  She assured me I was fine and that the IV was running properly.  This was not a good start.

After the IV went in my husband was able to come back with me.  We just sat and talked for a while until the anesthesiologist came in.   She was a super nice woman and I was so glad to have her since the anesthesiologist I had for my D&C was a complete jerk.  This woman explained everything to me, told me I was healthy and I shouldn’t have any problems, then answered my husbands questions.   I signed the forms and handed them over to her.

Then the nurse anesthetist came in.  She was very down to earth and told me exactly how it was going to be.  She said she would put in the anti-nausea medicine, then the pain medicine, then roll me back.  Once we got to the OR she’d give me the actual anesthesia.  She put in both medicines and let me kiss my husband goodbye.

As we were rolling down the hallway my vision started getting blurry.  Before we even made it to the OR I was out for the count.  I guess getting up at 4 am and not eating put me to sleep.  I woke up at 8:40, nearly 1 1/2 hours after my scheduled surgery time.  I was very worried something was wrong and that was why I was out for so long.

As it turned out I was in and out of surgery in about 30 minutes.   The RE went and talked to my husband just before 8 showing him the pictures of the mass he removed from my uterus.   He wasn’t sure what it was so they sent it out for a pathology report but the RE said he was glad they got it.  It was taking up a large part of my uterus and I’ll have a better chance of conceiving now that it’s out.

I sat quietly for about 10 minutes before the nurse moved me to the other recovery room.  At this point they went and got my husband.  He was really worried about me since it was almost an hour since the doctor had talked to him.  Apparently it took me longer to wake up then they anticipated.   I figure it was just because I was tired.

I felt ok when I woke up.   A little sore in my lower abdomen but ok.   The nurse helped me to the bathroom because I had to pee before I was allowed to leave. I had some moderate bleeding but nothing major.   The gave me some pain medication and sent me on my way.

I actually felt pretty good so we went and got coffee and did a little shopping at Target.   By the time we got home I had some pain but not much.  My husband went and filled my pain medications and when he came home I took both of them.  We went out and got frozen yogurt that night.

About 3:30 in the morning the pain meds wore off.   I had severe pain in my lower abdomen.  I ran for the kitchen and grabbed the pain medication and took it.  After about 30 minutes it kicked in and I was able to sleep.  All day Saturday I was in pain.  The bleeding had mostly stopped, I was just spotting, but the pain was bad.   I took the max dose of both the pain medications but I was still hurting.   My stomach was swollen and I had to wear my sweatpants again instead of my jeans.   My left hand, where the IV was, was also swollen and black and blue as the vein had burst.  I was not in great shape.

The next day was rough.  I took my pain meds all day and basically sat on the couch all day long.  I had a lot of pain and cramping.   On Sunday I felt ok, though still had some pain.  My husband helped me to the grocery store and carried everything for me.  By the time we got back home I was sore and exhausted.  I was SO GLAD I made the surgery appointment for Friday so I had the weekend to rest.

By Monday morning I was feeling ok.  I had a little bit of soreness but the pain was all gone.  My hand was swollen and black and blue from the IV but that was the worse of it.   I’m just glad that is out of the way and we are in the final countdown of IVF 2.0.


One thought on “Hysteroscopy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s