Day 5 Update

I was pretty much a wreck yesterday.  I had the sound on my phone but I was hoping I wouldn’t hear it.   I was busy running around trying to get ready for the day.  Not only was I supposed to transfer if we had any blasts but we were going to my parents house for a picnic.  I figured they would call between 7-8 to let us know.

Around 7:30 my husband comes running to me with my phone telling me it was my nurse.   I started shaking so badly I couldn’t stand it.  I answered the phone and my nurse was really not herself.   She said a few things and I thought for sure she was gearing up to tell me that none of my embryos made it.

Instead she said that she had my 3 day report and that out of the 4 embryos THREE made it to blast!    I was so shocked I said, “NO WAY!”   She laughed and said, ‘YES WAY!”   I looked at my husband and gave him a thumbs up.  He looked very relieved.   She then went on to say that I had 2 full blasts and that one was good quality and one was fair.  I also had an early blast that was good.  She told me she’d see me at 9.

Well, I was flying high!  I really didn’t imagine having 3!    I had 3 blasts on day 5 my very first IVF cycle (over 2 years ago) and that was from 22 eggs retrieved and 10 eggs fertilized so having 3 blasts from 4 eggs fertilized was  shock.   We were planning on transferring 2 even though my husband was very nervous about that.

We got to the office right at 9.   I was supposed to drink 8 oz. water at 8am, pee at 8:30, then drink 8 more ounces.   Well I did that, but then right before we walked in we stopped at McDonald’s and I peed then too which was bad.  Little did I know that was going to save me!

When we got to the office it was packed!  There were no nurses or doctors in sight.  It was very odd.   After waiting until 9:30 (and being really happy I used the bathroom at 9) a nurse comes running out and shouts (yes shouts) we didn’t forget about you!   Apparently they had had an egg retrieval go badly.  Something about not being able to start an IV and then the woman having trouble during the surgery.   By the time they called me back it was 10 and everyone looked frazzled.


My nurse simply said it was a rough morning and she was really sorry we had to wait so long.  I handed her the cookies I had made them and I got a big hug for them.  I think they all needed a little sugar.   I quickly got into my gown and onto the bed.   The woman next to me must have been the one with the bad retrieval because she was hooked up to a heart monitor and there was a lot of whispering over there.

The embryologist came over and said hi to me, then the other nurses did.  Finally my doctor came in.   He told me that all 3 of my embryos were now full blasts and that the embryologist says they were all high quality.   For that reason he was only going to let me transfer 1 instead of the 2 they thought I was going to transfer.   I was a little shocked but I went with the advice of my doctor.   I think my husband was a little relieved.

So in we all went to the transfer room.  It was me, my husband, one of the nurses, and the RE.   They left the door open which was crackign me up because of course I was naked from the stomach down.   Apparently the egg retrieval woman had left and I was the only one in the office since it was a Sunday.   My RE had to leave to get something and the nurse told me he was tired because he’s been up for 24 hours!   Not exactly what I wanted to hear but he was on call and there was a college football game (WVU if that tells you anything) and the ER was insane the night before.

But my RE is a champ.   He told me to relax, think pregnant thoughts, and told me this is the best chance we’ve had since coming to this practice.  I knew he was right.   I’ve been officially a patient there since November 2014 but I had gone to them for monitoring from March 2014-November 2014 so they know me pretty well.  We’ve been through 5 IUI’s, an IVF monitoring, and 3 actual IVF cycles together.


Not my actual blast but it looked a lot like this one!

The embryologist came in, told us he was ready, and a few seconds later I was PUPO!  My husband actually saw the blast go in this time.  I’m not sure I did though!   Boo!  We waited, they checked the tube, and we were good.   The nurses rolled me out and the embryologist came out with his computer.

The thing I like about this practice is they sit with you for 30 minutes while you are on your back not allowed to pee.   The embryoloigst shows you pictures of your embryos and explains things.  He actually explained ICSI in detail to us and showed us him choosing the sperm, we saw the ICSI injection.  We saw all 10 eggs, the 6 mature ones, and the 4 that fertilized.   Turns out actually 5 fertilized but 1 did it a day late and was always behind.

The embryologist got really excited when he came to the day 5 pictures.  He told me that they checked the embryos at 7 and I got the report on that.   At 10:30 they rechecked them before they chose one and he was happy to tell me not only were they all full blasts but they were all high quality blasts.   He was smiling and really excited.  He told me that I surprised them all with these beauties and he would be really surprised if one of them didn’t make us a baby.

He’s a really interesting guy.   After showing us the photos he asked if we had any questions.  He then told us that he was in the group that did the first IVF monkey.   He apparently was written up in an article as being Dr. Frankenstein because he was the embryologist on the monkey.  How crazy is that?   He was also part of the team that has the 3rd IVF baby.  Talk about having a champ as my embryologist.  He said when they made the 3rd IVF baby the state actually made it illegal in between the retrieval and the transfer so they ran to a senator who happened to be a patient, and he added an addendum that made it legal the day before they had to transfer the embryo!   Crazy!  He’s a really fascinating guy.

He then explained the freezing process which sounds insane.  They have 90 seconds to get the blast frozen once they put the medium on it.   It sounds so stressful.  He said he and the other embryologist are dead silent and he gets nervous every time.   He says his success rate for freezing is pretty high.  I was also worried about their 2013 and 2014 SART data regarding frozen transfers but he made me feel a little better when he said that in July they thawed a blast and that woman got pregnant so this year seems to be better already.

So the question is what made the difference?   Why do I suddenly have high quality embryos when last time (10 months ago) I had 2 not so great ones and had to do a 2 day transfer?   There are so many factors.   I’ve been on CoQ10 for 1 year.   My AMH is back in the normal range.   My office got a my filtration system and new incubators.   I had the experienced embryologist and not the younger one.   I’ve been doing the NK cells infusions.  So many different factors.  No matter what I’m happy that our last cycle worked out so well.  I’m also happy that hopefully my 2 other blasts are frozen and we’ll have another chance if we need it.  They will call today to tell me if they froze.  Sorry for the novel but yesterday was really an exciting day for us.


8 thoughts on “Day 5 Update

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s